A liver transplant surgery is the one where the patient's diseased liver is entirely replaced by a whole or partially healthy liver from another person. with a whole or partial healthy liver from another person. In most cases, the healthy liver that is implanted on the patient comes from someone who has just died. But in another case, a healthy living person may donate part of their liver. In order to be eligible as a liver donor, the blood match of the donor and the patient must match.
A person can't live with a non-working liver. If your liver functionally degrades to a point where it doesn't work at all, you will be strongly considered for a liver transplant surgery. A patient should be considered for liver transplant surgery if the following conditions are present:
• Irreversible liver disease with ineffective medical or surgical methods.
• Chronic liver disease.
• Cholestatic Disease: primary biliary cirrhosis, sclerosing cholangitis, secondary biliary cirrhosis, biliary atresia, cystic fibrosis
• Chronic Hepatitis: hepatitis B, hepatitis C, hepatitis D, autoimmune chronic active hepatitis, cryptogenic cirrhosis, chronic drug toxicity or toxin exposure
• Fulminant Acute Hepatic Necrosis: viral hepatitis, drug toxicity
• Primary Hepatic Tumors: selected patients with hepatocellular carcinoma
• Metabolic Diseases: hemochromatosis, Wilson's disease, Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency, glycogen storage disease, tyrosinemia, familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, other metabolic disorders treatable by liver replacement
• Alcoholic Cirrhosis: Patients with alcoholic cirrhosis are considered for transplant if they can achieve abstinence and rehabilitation.
The four main symptoms that spring on the body, making sure you need a liver transplant surgery are as follows :
• Gastrointestinal bleeding
• Fluid retention
Liver Transplant Surgery is considered for a patient who suffers from:
• End of stage liver disease
• The absence of systemic illness which is important for survival
• Full comprehension of transplant procedures and issues
In order to fulfil the liver transplant requirements as a liver transplant donor, you will be needed to be evaluated by the hospital on certain health grounds, which mainly require you to be free of :
• Cancer outside the liver
• Alcohol for at least 6 months
• Substance abuse
• Active infections
• Disabling psychiatric conditions
• Documented medical non-compliance.
• Lack of adequate social support
• Lack of adequate insurance
• Other diseases or conditions
Every critical surgery has some share of risks/complications attached to it. Some of the complications that can be caused after a Liver transplant surgery are :
• Shrinking or leaking of the bile ducts.
• Heavy bleeding
• Formation of Blood clots
• Mental confusion or seizures.
India has now come on the forefront when the medical facilities in the country are concerned. Moreover, with the marvellous expertise of the well-trained doctors in India, it is one of the leading places to get surgeries, especially critical ones like the Liver Transplant Surgery. In fact, the Best liver transplant surgeon in the world is Prof. Mohammed Rela. This liver transplant surgeon has performed over 4,000 liver transplant surgeries.
We have a pool of doctors who have handled very critical liver transplant cases and have a very good success rate.
The liver transplant success rate, it is noted that post the liver transplant 92% of the patients can survive successfully. Liver transplant in India success rate is about 85-90% at one year after transplant and about 75%, 5 years after transplant.
The average liver transplant cost in the United States or any other European country is much higher than the average Liver transplant cost in India.
The liver transplant cost in India also varies from government to private hospitals. Liver transplant cost in Apollo hospital can be economical but the services rendered to the patient are par excellence. Liver transplant cost is also highly subject to the complications attached to the case.