Most people have a strong desire to conceive a child at some point in their life. Approximately 85 per cent of the couples achieve pregnancy within one year of trying. Additionally, 7% per cent of the remaining conceives within the second year of trying. As a result, infertility is defined as the inability to conceive within 12 months.
If you and your partner are seeking help for infertility from your doctor, he may suggest a technique called “In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)”.
IVF is a type of assistive reproductive technology (ART) in which the egg is combined with the sperm outside the human body, in vitro. The fertilized egg is called is known as an embryo. The embryo is then frozen for storage and later transferred to the woman’s uterus.
Depending upon the situation, IVF can use:
• donated embryos
• your eggs and your partner’s sperm
• donor eggs and your partner’s sperm
• donor eggs and donor sperm
• your eggs and donor sperm
For the women who are not able to conceive through regular unprotected intercourse or after 12 cycles of artificial insemination, IVF is ideal for them.
IVF can be an option if:
• the woman's fallopian tubes are blocked
• other techniques, such as the use of fertility drugs or intrauterine insemination (IUI), have not worked
• either partner has received a diagnosis of unexplained infertility
There are five steps to IVF:
• Ovarian Stimulation: The first step is called stimulation, also called super ovulation where medicines are given to the woman to boost egg production. Usually, only one egg is produced per month but these medicines boost the production of eggs and multiple eggs are released. The women undergo transvaginal ultrasounds to examine the ovaries and blood tests are done to keep a check on the hormonal levels.
• Egg retrieval- A minor surgery is carried out to extract the eggs from the woman's body. If the woman is not able to produce eggs, then the donated eggs are used for further procedure.
• Insemination: The third step comprises of insemination and fertilization. The sperm and best quality eggs are placed together and this procedure is called insemination in an environmentally controlled chamber. The sperm generally fertilizes with the eggs after a few hours of insemination. In some cases, if the doctor feels that the chances of fertilization are less, the sperm is directly injected into the egg. This is called Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI).
• Embryo Culture- When the egg fertilizes, it becomes an embryo. The embryo is examined in the laboratory to make sure if it’s growing properly. If any abnormality is seen in the embryo, that may cause disorder in the child, laboratory scientists remove the single cell that is responsible for the disorder.
• Embryo Transfer: The fifth and the last step is embryo transfer. The embryo is placed into the woman’s womb 3 to 5 days after egg retrieval and fertilization. A thin tube (catheter) containing the embryo into the woman’s vagina through the cervix, up into the womb.
CureIndia helps you choose the right doctor for your medical treatment. Most of the doctors in our associated hospitals
have been internationally trained and are active members of many international medical councils and associations.
Let's hear from some of the most reputed doctor's for IVF treatment in India.
• 1.9 per cent for women aged over 44 years
• 5 per cent of women aged 43 to 44
• 13.6 per cent for women aged 40 to 42 years
• 20.8 per cent for women aged between 38 to 39 years
• 27.7 per cent for women aged between 35 to 37 years
• 32.2 per cent for women aged under 35 years
These statistics vary depending upon where IVF procedure is done.
Apart from age, the likelihood of success depends on factors including:
• Embryo Quality: Embryos with genetic or chromosomal problems are extremely weak and they do not work for this treatment
• Implantation problems: In many cases when IVF fails, the reason is poor implantation. It is because the growth of embryo stops if the eggs are transferred carelessly. Implantation problems are faced by 50 per cent of patients
• Patient’s age: with increasing age such as above 40, success rates decrease widely in IVF.
• Ovarian Response: In a few cases, ovaries do not respond well to IVF medications. As in the case of a female who cannot produce multiple eggs in response to IVF injections.
If you are planning to have a baby through IVF then, IVF Predict provides an online calculator to give you some idea about how likely IVF is to be successful.
Some women may have reactions to the medications that are given during treatment. The possible side effects of IVF drugs include:
• difficulty breathing
• nausea and vomiting
• hot flashes
• enlargement of the ovaries
• abdominal pain
• difficulty sleeping
Whether the conception is natural or through IVF, the leading cause of loss of the pregnancy is an abnormal number of chromosomes also known as chromosomal aneuploidy.
There is a higher chance of having twins and triplets or more babies when more than one embryo is transferred into the mother’s womb.
Pregnancies with more than one fetus can result in:
• a significant increase in the mother's blood pressure
• low birth weight or preterm birth
• double the mother's risk of developing diabetes
There isn’t any difference between the test tube baby and IVF. IVF helps people with fertility problems to have a baby. The father’s sperms and mother’s egg are fertilized in a test tube clinically by an expert, therefore the baby conceived is called test-tube baby.
• There is a higher chance of multiple births with IVF
• In-vitro fertilization (IVF) can help achieve pregnancy when other treatments have not worked
• One per cent of babies born in the United States are conceived through IVF
• The process involves fertilizing an egg outside the body and implanting it to continue the pregnancy
“It always seems impossible until it's done”
Due to the availability of skilled and experienced doctors, India is now gaining popularity for infertility treatments. As compared to other countries, the cost of IVF in India is comparatively low.
For most patients, IVF is the most effective treatment for infertility, but it is very much underutilized. Choose IVF treatment in India through CureIndia as then otherwise costly procedure will prove to be quite affordable, for you with the success rate of 40 to 45 per cent (depends on the condition of the individual). We can arrange a free consultation for you with top doctors from our connected hospitals.