Breast Augmentation/Enhancement surgery is a cosmetic surgery carried out to increase the size, change the shape, and alter the texture of the breasts of a woman using fillers such as breast implants or by fat grafting method.
It is one of the most popular widely performed cosmetic surgeries.
You are the candidate for breast augmentation procedure if:
• If you are 20 years of age or more
• You have small and asymmetrical breasts (due to breastfeeding, ageing, or significant weight loss)
• You have drooping breasts
• You have previously undergone any breast surgery such as mastectomy
You should avoid breast augmentation procedure if you are:
• Are or planning to get pregnant
• Allergic to surgeries
Normally there are 2 broad categories of Breast Augmentation Surgery.
• Breast Implant Surgery (Using silicone breast implants, saline Breast implants or gummy bear breast implants)
• Undergoing Fat grafting breast augmentation.
In the Breast Implant Surgery, the surgeon makes a cut (incision) in the bottom crease of the breast/ the armpit, or along the lower edge of the areola to ensure the proper placement of the breast implant. The surgeon carefully adjusts the implant to the correct shape and position. Then the incision is closed with stitches or suture.
The implant may be placed under the breast tissue or under the chest muscle beneath the breast. However, the preferred placement is when the implant is placed under the chest muscle since the risk for capsular contracture (hardening of tissue around the implant) is significantly lowered and also doesn't interfere much with mammography.
Fat grafting for breast augmentation consists of two separate procedures that are performed on the same day.
• You are injected with local anaesthesia around your breast area to ensure painless procedure.
• The surgeon then manually removes fat tissue from parts of your body where fat is not desired (These parts can include your thighs, belly, and buttocks)
• The fat tissue is which is extracted would now be processed. The unwanted components such as blood, oil, and water are filtered and only the fat cells are retained.
• These fat cells (tissue) are grafted into the breast area which needs augmentation with the help of very fine needles.
Breast Augmentation Risks are minimal which can be present due to
• Risks of infection
• Achieving a lesser breast size than expected
As with most treatments, the recovery period after this procedure varies from patient to patient.
The overall healing time is generally around 3-4 weeks. You have to wear a non-wire bra and avoid exercises such as jumping and skipping for the first few weeks post your Breast Augmentation surgery.