Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a form of artificial insemination that is used for the treatment of infertility. In this procedure, sperm is directly inserted in a uterus that will provoke a healthy sperm to reach the egg faster.
Before placing the sperm closer to your uterus, the sperm is concentrated and washed. In the meantime, your ovary does the job of releasing a couple of eggs for the purpose of fertility. The whole process of IUI increases the probability of pregnancy in couples having problems with pregnancy.
Usually, a sperm is required to travel through the cervix from the vagina in order to reach the uterus. However, IUIfertility makes the whole process easier and makes it convenient for people that have a problem in getting pregnant naturally.
IUI is a low-cost method and it can even be coordinated with your normal pregnancy cycle. It entirely depends on the cause of your infertility. It is a lesser expensive variant as compared to other methods such as Vitro Fertilization.
There are various factors that are held responsible for the pregnancy of a couple. IUI treatment is provided to people who are suffering from:
• Ovulatory factor infertility: Women who have problems in infertility due to their ovulation can opt-in for the IUI insemination process. The problems that count in include a lesser number of eggs or absence of ovulation.
• Unexplained fertility: Mostly, the foremost treatment for unexplained fertility is IUI. It is often performed along with medications of ovulation induction.
• Subfertility: Often known as mild male factor infertility, it is a condition of below-average concentration of sperm, the morphology of sperm, or motility of sperm. IUI process encourages the semen analysis of partners under such a disability. With the help of IUI, lower quality sperms can be replaced with healthy ones to solve this problem.
• Endometriosis infertility: In case id endometriosis-related fertility, IUI can be used along with medication for gaining high-quality eggs in order to promote pregnancy.
• Semen allergy: In a very rare case, a woman might be allergic to the proteins available in the sperm of her partner. Due to this, the vagina might face ailments such as swelling, redness, and burning when the ejaculation of semen comes in contact with skin. Even though you can use a condom to prevent such ailments, it won’t solve the root problem i.e., infertility. Therefore, in that case, the IUI procedure can be used to remove proteins from the sperm before inserting them in the uterus.
• Cervical factor infertility: The lower end of the uterus is known as the cervix. It acts as a way between the uterus and vagina. Cervix produces mucus that helps the sperm to reach the uterus through the vagina with the help of fallopian tubes. In some cases, the mucus produced by the cervix is way too thick. Therefore, instead of easing off the way for sperm, it counters it from reaching the uterus. Therefore, with the help of IUI treatment, the journey through the mucus is avoided and the sperm is deposited directly to the uterus that promotes fertility.
IUI is relatively less-expensive and fertility treatment compared to (In Vitro Fertilization) IVF. In some cases, IUI may be the only treatment needed to achieve pregnancy and it is done before progressing to IVF. IUI is done using a male partner’s sperm or donor sperm in the following scenarios:
CureIndia helps you choose the right doctor for your medical treatment. Most of the doctors in our associated hospitals
have been internationally trained and are active members of many international medical councils and associations.
Let's hear from some of the most reputed doctor's for Intrauterine insemination treatment in India.
As said above, IUI works through the insertion of sperm cells in the uterus directly. This insertion needs to be done during the process of ovulation. Hence, IUI helps the sperm to reach closer to the egg with lesser time and distance that makes it simpler for an egg to fertilize. Here’s a breakdown of the IUI process day by day.
The whole process is known as insemination and before it is done, you need to take medicines for ovulate stimulation. After that, the partner is asked to provide sperm that goes through the process known as “sperm washing”. In sperm washing, healthy sperm is separated from the weak sperm and is collected for further procedure.
Right after this, the doctor places the sperm exactly inside the uterus. Now, if the egg is successfully fertilized by the sperm, fertility takes place and the lining of the uterus is implanted by the fertilized eggs.
Furthermore, the IUI treatment cost is lesser than other fertility treatments because of it being a low-the procedure. The process has a great chance of promoting pregnancy. However, as you already know, every human body works differently and there is no assurance of this process to work.
The success rate of artificial insemination procedure is dependent on numerous factors. When the procedure is followed each month by a cycle, the chances of success might reach 20% during each cycle.
However, the statistics are entirely dependent on factors such as the age of women, usage of drugs, and the problem that counts for infertility. Even though the artificial insemination cost is lower than that of IVF, the chances of pregnancy are also lesser as well.
Even the IUI cost is comparatively low, the insemination process is followed by minor risks of vaginal infections. However, doctors responsibly use sterile instruments during the procedure so the chances of catching such infections are very less. However, IUI procedure is painful.
Moreover, when you use medications for the ovulate induction, you might have a risk of multiple baby pregnancy. This happens because the medications are used to promote fertility and hence a larger number of eggs are likely to release during the course.
However, the physician you are appointed with will try to stabilize the number of eggs released by measuring the bloodwork and balance the medications. Therefore, even this risk has a lesser chance of happening and in most of the cases, you are safe.
Here is a list of symptoms that trigger an immediate visit to the doctor. If these symptoms happen to you while consuming the fertility medications during your IUI, you should immediately consult your doctor:
IUI is a relatively affordable treatment with lesser risks and higher chances of success. Once successful, it can be a result of great news for many couples struggling to get pregnant. To get the best course details, consider the guidance of your doctor.