Dr. (Prof.) V.S. Mehta, Padmashree is a stalwart in the field of neurosurgery and is know all over the world for his exceptional expertise and medical precision. He is one of the few doctors to receive awards like the Padma Shree and the Life Time Achievement Award (ASSOCHAM & 6th MT Awards- Mumbai). Over the years he has been instrumental in initiating various clinical protocols and introducing technology interventions such as the brain tumour navigation technology to the forefront of neurosurgery to ensure that 100% surgical accuracy and surgical brilliance is delivered. His patient outcomes, code of conduct and ethical framework has been exceptional all through his medical career. Being a part of the medical ethics committee of MCI, he has always adhered to all protocols and ensured that organizations that he is associated with also adhere to the same
- M.S. (Gen. Surg.)
- M.Ch. (Neurosurgery)
- 2001 – 2006: Chief – Neurosciences Center, AIIMS, New Delhi
- 1994- 2006: Head – Dept. of Neurosurgery, Gamma Knife Centre, AIIMS (New Delhi)
Awards and Achievements
- E. MERCK Gold Medal for best paper for year 1980 at its Annual conference of Neurological Society of India held at Calcutta.
- E. MERCK Gold Medal for best paper for year 1985 at its Annual conference of Neurological Society of India held at Madurai.
- Jack and Monica Britton Traveling Fellowship to visit different Neurological Centres in United Kingdom in 1986.
- Senior Commonwealth Fellowship 1994.
- Indian Medical Association South Delhi Branch Special Award for excellence in academics, 16th December 2001.
- Awarded for best recruiting STICH Centre in Asia June 2003.
- Presidential Oration on 2nd February 2003 – Delhi Neurological Association.
- Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences 2003.
- Awarded PADMA SHRI Award by the President of India for the year 2005 for the contribution in the field of Medicine.
- Nominated as Founder Member of World Academy of Neurological Surgeons in 2005.
- Dr Satyapal Aggarwal Memorial Annual Indian Medical Association (IMA) Oration on “Brain Tumours Past, Present and Future”, 22nd October 2005, Ludhiana
- Nominated as a guest member of “ The Japan Neurosurgical Society in 2006”
- Nominated as International member of the “Brazilian Academy of Neurosurgery in 2007”.
- Delivered key note address in 6th Annual Meeting of Association of Neurosurgeon of China in 2006at Beijing”
- Presidential Oration on 17th December’2007 in its annual Conference of Neurological Society of India held at Agra”
- A.D Sehgal Oration on 07th February’2009 in its annual conference of Delhi Neurological Association held at AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Invited to Deliver A.D.Sehgal Oration at Neurotrauma Conference 7-9th August 2009 at Jaipur on “Brachial Plexus Injuries”.
- Presidential oration on 11th Sept 2009 in its annual conference of Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery held at Manipal on 11-12th Sept 2009.
- S.P. Srivastava Memorial oration on 14th Nov 2010 at its U.P. Con 2010, (U.P. Branch of IMA) at Saharanpur.
- Honoured with Swasthya Bharat Samman by L.I.C. Zee News on 15th Nov. 2010 at Gurgaon.
- Dave – Newton oration on 19th Nov 2011 at K.G.M.C. Lucknow.
- Medical Council of India (MCI)