Intracervical is artificial insemination in which the sperms of the male partner are directly placed on the cervix of the female partner with the help of a speculum or catheter. It is a painless procedure and cost-effective as well as compared to IUI. AI or Artificial Insemination is a procedure in which the semen is retrieved from the male partner and is injected into the female partner. It is utilized for the couples having infertility issues. But before using the semen sample received from the male partner, it is first washed in the laboratory and then selected sperms are injected into the female. This procedure is done because the semen contains prostaglandin – a hormone which can cause severe cramping if unwashed semen was placed directly into the uterine cavity.
ICI is recommended to couples who are dealing with male infertility issues such as low sperm count, motility or erectile dysfunction. The procedure is also recommended to the women having cervical mucus issues like in rare cases the cervical mucus does not accept some types of proteins in the sperm.
Depending on the reasons for infertility and the quality of the sperm sample used, success rates for ICI range from 5% to 30&% per cycle. To increase the chances of pregnancy, the insemination procedure is usually performed two times during each cycle. Sperm washing may also increase the chances of pregnancy with ICI.
• The procedure of ICI is carried out around the time of ovulation of the concerned women. Timely tests are done to keep a check on LH (Luteinizing Hormone). Once the LH surges, it indicates the best time of successful insemination and occurrence of pregnancy.
• A speculum is inserted into the vagina of the patient for widening and accessing the cervix.
• Then, a catheter is inserted in the vagina until it reaches the cervix. A catheter is a thin tube that has syringe at the end that enters the cervix of the patient.
• The sperm sample is then injected into the cervix.
• In order to prevent the leakage of the sperm sample, a small soft sponge cap is placed inside the cervix. It is removed after 6 hours of the completion of the procedure.
• It takes only 15-20 minutes for the completion of the ICI procedure. The patient is asked to rest for one hour in the hospital and later discharged according to the opinion of the doctor.
Like every other medical procedure, Intracervical Insemination has certain risks and side effects associated with it. They should be taken into consideration before opting for the procedure.
Intracervical Insemination involves the utilization of speculum and catheter, the risk of getting infection increases.
The chances of multiple pregnancies with ICI rise to a considerable extent.
Miscarriages occur in one-fifth of the pregnancy cases which get successful with the help of Intracervical insemination procedure.
Ectopic pregnancy is the type of pregnancy in which the implantation of the embryo occurs outside the uterus, commonly in the fallopian tubes.
CureIndia helps you choose the right doctor for your medical treatment. Most of the doctors in our associated hospitals have been internationally trained and are active members of many international medical councils and associations. Let's hear from some of the most reputed doctor's for infertility treatment in India.
CureIndia is the most trusted platform in India for treatments related to male and female infertility. We are associated with top infertility specialists who are internationally trained and widely experienced. We have been working with pioneering infertility clinics equipped with state of the art labs and medical infrastructure. We are proud to maintain excellent success rates for IVF and other fertility-related procedures for International patients all over the world.
Apart from providing the best male & female infertility treatment to the patients who are coming miles for having a baby with us, we provide complementary services like: